[IPython-user] Bus error

Michael Broe mbroe at columbus.rr.com
Wed Apr 12 14:08:15 CDT 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Zachary Pincus wrote:

> Any chance your version of readline is 5.1, without the patches?

Yup exactly.

> I had this problem when using a gnu readline library (v5.1) that I
> had built from source. I solved it by applying the patches for
> readline 5.1 and rebuilding.

Patched with the current four patches from ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/
bash/readline-5.1-patches, and rebuilt... still get the same error.

When I say 'rebuilt', I did

make uninstall
make clean
make distclean

Then started over with configure.

> Your best bet to isolate this is to run python under GDB.

I'm not familiar with gdb, but running python under it didn't seem to
work:

~ $ gdb python
GNU gdb 6.1-20040303 (Apple version gdb-434) (Wed Nov  2 17:28:16 GMT
2005)

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/python
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
0x8fe0100c in __dyld__dyld_start ()
(gdb)

Thanks for your help, I still suspect readline....

Cheers,
Mike