[IPython-user] Bus error

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 12 16:24:53 CDT 2006

Michael -

Ignore this last email. Now that I see you're using the Universal
build of MacPython, all is more clear to me. I think (though
hopefully Bob will clarify on the MacPython list) that readline is
statically linked with the Python that Bob distributes. So no matter
what version of readline you build for yourself, I think that Bob's
MacPython will still use the version it was built with. But we'll
resolve those issues (and the gdb confusion, which I also think is
due to the Universal MacPython) on the MacPython email list.

For now, you'll want to either (a) sit tight, or (b) build your own
python and everything and not use Bob's build until these issues get
resolved. (I linked directions for that below. It's easy.) Now, (b)
is an easy option on a PPC mac, but I'm not sure about on an intel mac.

In any case, you probably should download the latest Apple developer
tools (see below), because you'll definitely need them.

Zach