[IPython-user] pylab and embedded IPython

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Apr 12 18:04:20 CDT 2006

Hello all,

I'm trying to use pylab with embedded Ipython (to expose the pylab
integration for Movbale Python).

I notice that if I use the code from ipython.py then I can pass in
'-pylab' as an argument, but I can't do the same with IPShellEmbed.

The main functionality I need to expose is :

* Being able to set the ipythondir (sending ['-ipythondir', libdir] as
the first argument)
* Being able to set a banner
* Running in a namespace (pass in a locals and globals dictinary)

Looking in Shell.py, when '-pylab' is passed in, the class returned by
``_matplotlib_shell_class`` is used. I can't see how to pass in a
namespace here - ``user_global_ns`` and ``user_ns`` don't seem to do it.

Is it possible to expose this functionality (or even some of it) ?

All the best,

Fuzzyman