[IPython-user] suse install

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 16:24:08 CDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Imbaud Pierre <pierre at saiph.com> wrote:
> Hello, happy taxpayers!
> I run an old ipython version (0.6.11), willing to upgrage (suse 9.3).
> First tried to install the fedora package: ipython-0.7.2-py24.noarch.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>           python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by ipython-0.7.2-py24
> ???
>
> are fedora and suse packages no more compatible?

I don't really know.  The rpms are built on an ubuntu box, using

setup.py bdist_rpm

so I'm not exactly sure how they would work on fedora/suse.  If you
know you have python2.4 installed (whichi is the only dependency), you
can force the install with the --nodeps option.

> does the developper have a right about the way his baby gets packaged?

I don't understand this question.

> I ended installing thru egg, as suggested by
> http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/wiki/WhatsNew

Glad it worked for you.  A plain source install from the tarball also
works, as described in the online instructions.