[IPython-user] resolved an issue with readline and MacPython-2.4.3

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Fri Aug 11 08:58:59 CDT 2006

I have been trying to get a new user set up to use python on a mac (OS X
10.4). We ran into some trouble running ipython, where the interactive
interpreter would lock up, and then exit with a Bus Error. We could reproduce
the problem by typing part of a command, and then pressing the up/down arrow
keys.

The problem is with MacPython-2.4.3, which comes with a statically linked
readline package that was built without the necessary patches. This website
gave us the information we needed to solve the problem:
http://www.kompato.com/?p=616

We downloaded readline (http://tiswww.tis.case.edu/~chet/readline/rltop.html)
along with the patches (ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash/readline-5.1-patches),
patched the source, built and installed readline. Then we built python-2.4.3
from source (no MacPython), using the frameworks installation method for mac,
(see the Mac/OSX/README included in the source distribution). That resolved
the lock ups we were experiencing with IPython. I figured I'd post in case
anyone else runs into trouble.

Darren