[IPython-user] resolved an issue with readline and MacPython-2.4.3

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 13:41:18 CDT 2006

Hey Darren,

On 8/11/06, Darren Dale <dd55 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> I have been trying to get a new user set up to use python on a mac (OS X
> 10.4). We ran into some trouble running ipython, where the interactive
> interpreter would lock up, and then exit with a Bus Error. We could reproduce
> the problem by typing part of a command, and then pressing the up/down arrow
> keys.
>
> The problem is with MacPython-2.4.3, which comes with a statically linked
> readline package that was built without the necessary patches. This website
> gave us the information we needed to solve the problem:
> http://www.kompato.com/?p=616

many thanks for the details.  I'd actually recently seen the problem
on a colleague's new MacBook.  The bug can be easily produced in a
plain python shell (no ipython) by loading and configuring readline a
little.  I hope the official MacPython team fixes things soon, as this
can be annoying and time-consuming to fix, and it kind of makes
ipython useless on OSX.

Regards,