[IPython-user] resolved an issue with readline and MacPython-2.4.3

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:54:02 CDT 2006

On 8/11/06, Steve Lianoglou <lists.steve at arachnedesign.net> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Another ... easier(?) ... more supported (?) ... perhaps, just plain
> "other" option is to install the python and readline combo via
> DarwinPorts (http://darwinports.org/). The readline package auto-d/
> l's and applies the correct patches before install.
>
> I've been averse to using things like ports or fink for sometime
> because I always liked to roll my own with that sort of stuff, but it
> has really saved me a lot of time getting a lot of different things
> working together, and darwinports do a pretty good job about keeping
> their stuff up to date.

Thanks for the info, Steve.

I wonder if the MacPython guys really understand that the bug has
nothging to do with ipython and is purely a readline thing.  Users of
plain python can get it just as well, by simply loading readline and
configuring the arrows for history search.

It would really be nice if their official build was fixed.  Shipping a
version of python that can be segfaulted with the arrow keys isn't
very nice, imho.