[IPython-user] Can somebody help me with readline support?

Steve Lianoglou lists.steve at arachnedesign.net
Thu Aug 24 10:15:45 CDT 2006

Hi Again,

> So when trying to follow the instructions listed in the site you
> linked, I got the following error:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: warning Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python cputype
> (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -
> arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _PyMac_Error
> _Py_Main
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [python.exe] Error 1
>
> It would appear that intel arch is not supported on OS X? I'm going
> to research the python forums/lists whatever and see how they fix
> it. In the mean time, I'll check out Darrens response and see if I
> can figure out what he has done.

Hmm .. it definitely is .. since I'm running on an MacBook Pro
myself :-)

I think that's a really weird error you're getting -- why do I see
"make: *** [python.exe] Error 1" bombing out there? Aren't *.exe
files an  MS Windows thing?

Is this happening during compilation of python itself? I've compiled
python before and I'm pretty sure I didn't hit any speed bumps (with
that part, at least) and there's nothing particularly special about
my compiling environment. You didn't happen to switch to using gcc3.3
with that gcc_select call, did you?

Also it seemed like you had another version of 2.4 installed .. where/
what did you use for that? Maybe you could remove your previously
installed version and try again (I think the user installed one is
in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/ (where as the official
system one is in
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/)

Sorry you're having problems ... if the MacPython thing doesn't work
out for you, I can try to help out w/ compiling your own, or setting
you up with darwinports (http://macports.org/).

-steve