[IPython-user] Can somebody help me with readline support?

Nathan frizop at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 10:41:39 CDT 2006

I figured it out,

listed here: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2006-March/032348.html

it says that there is a bug in the python Makefile when you do a ./configure --framework and then make.

--- Start Quote ----

analysis:
---------

The arch flag for the Python shared library in
the framework is incorrect.

file shows Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python
to be a PPC binary.

scroll up in terminal to find link statement for
Python:

libtool -o Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python
-dynamic  libpython2.4.a \
         -lSystem -lSystemStubs -arch_only ppc
-install_name
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python
-compatibility_version 2.4 -current_version 2.4

The '-arch_only ppc' flag is the problem.

workaround:

After running configure, open makefile and so
a s/arch_only ppc/arch_only i386/g

--- end quote ---

 So there you have it, I did a ./configure, then a "sed -i 's/arch_only ppc/arch_only i386/g' Makefile"

make; sudo make install

and it works fine.

Thanks for all of your help.

--Nathan