[IPython-user] TraitsUI and ipython

Dave davbrow at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 18:46:45 CST 2006

I'm just starting to work with the Enthought Traits module which looks
to have a very handy basic GUI for setting configuration data in
scripts and handling bits of persistent data with a trivial level of
effort.  It seems like it would be a great addition to the
ipython/pylab/YFE (your favotite editor) setup.  However, so far, I
have not been able to get python and pylab to cooperate on OS X.  I'm
using wxpython in pylab.  When I start ipython with -pylab or use
ipython -wthread and then run a TraitUI script the GUI window appears
along with a spinning-disk cursor for several seconds, followed by a
python/wxpython crash.  Here's the console crash report summary:

**********

Host Name:      iMac
Date/Time:      2006-12-03 16:37:23.796 -0800
OS Version:     10.4.8 (Build 8L127)
Report Version: 4

Command: Python
Parent:  bash [1118]

Version: 2.4a0 (2.4alpha1)

PID:    1145

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000068

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib 	0x020d5130
wxMacAppEventHandler(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*,
void*) + 48

I'm not sure where to report this or ask if there is a possible fix to
make the modules work together.   Is this something ipython needs to
handle or is it more likely a Traits or wx issue?  For the record,
Traits seems to work fine if I start ipython without any flags.

-- David