[IPython-user] ipython/matplotlib question

belinda thom bthom at cs.hmc.edu
Mon Dec 4 14:06:44 CST 2006

Hello,

I understand ipython -pylab is supposed to do most of the setup work
for matplotlib.

I've not been able to use (the rec'd) TkAgg as my backend in
matplotlibrc (doing so results in an ImportError: No module named
_tkagg). All of my dependent installs (python24, ipython, matplotlib)
have been thru macports.

An informative page (http://howdy.physics.nyu.edu/index.php/
Numpy_For_Mac_Using_Macports) mentions that only the wxPython GUI
env. works on macports matplotlib, so I've just installed py-wxpython
(and have changed matplotlibrc so that bacakend is WxAgg).

Now when I run:

   ipython -pylab

and get:

-----------

2 % ipython -pylab
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Nov  9 2006, 12:26:57)

?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
%magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.

   Welcome to pylab, a matplotlib-based Python environment.
   For more information, type 'help(pylab)'.

In [1]: This program needs access to the screen. Please run with
'pythonw',
not 'python', and only when you are logged in on the main display of
your Mac.

The terminal dies; to quit I use kill -9 (or press the red kill
button). Note that I tried running ipython from an xterm (does this
matter?).

Advice greatly appreciated. I'm totally stumped.

--b