[IPython-user] question of shell invocation and also windows and wthread

danny shevitz danny_shevitz at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 13:21:22 CST 2006

When I tried this originally, the first thing I tried was to just duplicate the desktop icon.
I tried to pass the wthread flag, but could not get it to work. The first thing I tried was to
modify the shortcut so it passed the wthread flag.
In other words, I tried to make the shortcut
D:\Enthought\python.exe "C:\Program Files\IPython\IPython_shell.py " "-wthread"

but this didn't work. Probably I did something wrong.
I also tried passing wthread as an argument (modifying the .py file)
something like:

IPython.Shell.start("wthread").mainloop()

regardless. the only thing I ever got to work was

IPython.Shell.IPShellWX().mainloop()

but this had the depricated wxPython stuff (which is easily correctible and
Fernando has already done so).

So all this is a long winded way of saying I was never able to get a command
line invocation working on windows using a switch (-wthread) as opposed to
a hardcode (IPShellWX).

I'm curious to know if anyone can get a command line switch variant working.