[IPython-user] Problem with import_some in profiles ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Dec 11 21:50:47 CST 2006

Hi there,

    I am trying to create a profile for signal processing with ipython:
I copied the ipythonrc-physics, and it looks like:

# First load basic user configuration
include ipythonrc

# import ...
# Module with alternate input syntax for PhysicalQuantity objects.
#import_mod IPython.Extensions.PhysicalQInput
import_mod
numpy

import_mod
scipy

# from ... import
*
#import_all math IPython.Extensions.PhysicalQInteractive

# from ... import
import_some pyaudio wavread

    When I start ipython -p sig, numpy and scipy are available as
expected, but not wavread (note that doing from pyaudio import wavread
DOES work). I don't have any error; in fact, if I pass a bogus name, I
don't have errors either:

    import_some pyyyyyyyyaudio wavread

    Whereas for a bogus package in import_mod, I do get an error.

    I don't know if this is relevant information, but I don't run
ipython directly: I run lipython, which is a shell alias for ipython
with a PYTHONPATH pointing to some locally compiled package, including
the above numpy/scipy/pyaudio (I don't have root access to my workstation),

    cheers,

    David