[IPython-user] question of shell invocation and also windows and wthread

danny shevitz danny_shevitz at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 12 16:23:29 CST 2006

I have finally resolved what is going on.

In my distribution, I do not have an ipython.py file.
I have an ipython_shell.py file. The code for the first (what you ,Ville, are using) is:

IPython.Shell.start().mainloop()

in my ipython_shell.py file I have:

IPython.Shell.IPShell().mainloop()

Now that I realize the difference, it is trivial to create my own ipython.py file.
The second version (which I have), does not respond to any command line flags.
This also explains why I couldn't get -pylab to work.

Using your version with -wthread still invokes the old import wxPython stuff (
which Fernando has already corrected). So it is likely no one reported the deprecated
stuff before.

I don't know why I don't have an ipython.py file. I have always installed via the installers.
Maybe it was left out?