[IPython-user] ipython1 parallel capabilities

Giovanni Samaey Giovanni.Samaey at cs.kuleuven.be
Wed Dec 13 04:51:03 CST 2006

Hi all,

a while ago, it was mentioned on the scipy mailing list that it is
possible and recommended to use mpi4py and OpenMPI for parallel
computing with python; and also that this can be combined with the new
interactive parallel shell ipython1.

I was very intrigued by this and would like to use it.  But I feel a bit
lost when checking everything out.  It seems that ipython1 uses a
"controller" and "engines", and has its own routines to steer the
engines from a controller.

How do I let the engines be the processes that run my parallellized
codes?  Is there a tutorial available somewhere on how to use a python +
mpi4py program interactively with ipython?

Best,

Giovanni