[IPython-user] default interpreter used by ipython

Glen W. Mabey Glen.Mabey at swri.org
Fri Dec 15 08:47:49 CST 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 07:22:24AM -0500, Fernando Perez wrote:
> On 12/15/06, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 12/15/06, Glen W. Mabey <Glen.Mabey at swri.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Upon switching to ipython-0.7.3b3, the python interpreter used to invoke
> >> setup.py no longer seems to be used as the interpreter placed as the
> >> first line of the ipython invocation script ...
> >
> >Does the same happen with rc2 from
> >
> >http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/testing/

No, the same thing does not happen.  rc2 works like beta2 did.
The only thing I changed was the tarball to be downloaded.  *honest*

> FWIW, I can't seem to see the problem here:
>
> funes[bin]> python2.5 setup.py install --home=$HOME/tmp/foo
>
> [...]
>
> funes[bin]> head -2 ipython
> #!/usr/bin/python2.5
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
>
> Could you please provide a few more details so we can track this
> problem?

Here's what I do:
  /usr/local/bin/python2.5 setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local/stow/ipython-0.7.3b3/
  head -2 ipython.py
  #!/usr/bin/env python
  # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

> Nothing in the build process or distutils has changed
> recently, so I'm rather surprised by your report, and can't reproduce
> the problem locally.

Yes, I would start to wonder myself if it weren't reproducible.  rc2 is
fine though ...

BTW, thanks for all your work on ipython.

Glen