[IPython-user] problem with wthread and pdb

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 16:22:09 CST 2006

On 12/15/06, danny shevitz <danny_shevitz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here's a shell transcript:
>
> In [4]: run -d -b200 gui2
> Breakpoint 1 at e:\working copies\logicmodels\code\logicmodels\gui2.py:200
> NOTE: Enter 'c' at the ipdb> prompt to start your script.
> > <string>(1)<module>()
>
> ipdb>c
>
> In [5]:
>
> this isn't what I would expect, but I don't understand the threading model well enough to know if
> I can't do what I want, or I'm just doing something stupid, or there is a bug.
>
> Is there any way to single step through an event handler?
> Any help?

Mmh, I think you're treading in altogether uncharted waters, and
you've found the limits of the system.  The threaded shells have to
defer interactive execution into a secondary thread, and this control
is handled manually.  I suspect that the debugger is activating in the
wrong thread.

To be quite honest, I'm not 100% sure how to do it correctly, though
off the top of my head I suspect it /is/ possible.  I think it's a
matter of sorting out in what thread the debugger fires.
Unfortunately it doesn't currently work :(