[IPython-user] IPython 0.7.3 is out
Ville M. Vainio
vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 02:17:18 CST 2006
The IPython team is happy to release version 0.7.3, with a lot of new
enhancements, as well as many bug fixes (including full Python 2.5 support).
We hope you all enjoy it, and please report any problems as usual.
WHAT is IPython?
1. An interactive shell superior to Python's default. IPython has many
features for object introspection, system shell access, and its own special
command system for adding functionality when working interactively.
2. An embeddable, ready to use interpreter for your own programs. IPython can
be started with a single call from inside another program, providing access to
the current namespace.
3. A flexible framework which can be used as the base environment for other
systems with Python as the underlying language.
4. A shell for interactive usage of threaded graphical toolkits. IPython has
support for interactive, non-blocking control of GTK, Qt and WX applications
via special threading flags. The normal Python shell can only do this for
Where to get it
IPython's homepage is at:
and downloads are at:
- Source download (.tar.gz)
- A Python Egg (http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs).
- A native win32 installer.
We note that IPython is now officially part of most major Linux and BSD
distributions, so packages for this version should be coming soon, as the
respective maintainers have the time to follow their packaging procedures.
Many thanks to Jack Moffit, Norbert Tretkowski, Andrea Riciputi, Dryice Liu
and Will Maier for the packaging work, which helps users get IPython more
Many thanks to Enthought for their continued hosting support for IPython.
for notable new features in this release.
Enjoy, and as usual please report any problems.
The IPython team.
Ville M. Vainio - vivainio.googlepages.com
blog=360.yahoo.com/villevainio - g[mail | talk]='vivainio'
More information about the IPython-user