[IPython-user] Suggestion for ipython on Windows

Pete Forman pete.forman at westerngeco.com
Thu Dec 21 10:45:00 CST 2006

Pete Forman <pete.forman at westerngeco.com> writes:

 > These did not work.
 >
 >>"d:\Program Files\Python25\Scripts\ipython.py"
 > Traceback (most recent call last):
 >   File "d:\Program Files\Python25\Scripts\ipython.py", line 26, in ?
 >     import IPython
 > ImportError: No module named IPython

Correction, that does work.  'ftype Python.file' showed me that
Windows was still using Python 2.3 to open .py files via associations.
Changing it to 2.5 means that ipython.py functions correctly.

The bat file might still be useful.  A standard alternative is to put
.PY into PATHEXT.  That is not done by the Python installer AKAIK.

It seems that the Python installer has a bug (or feature) when
upgrading.  I'll take that to the Python list.
--
Pete Forman                -./\.-  Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco                  -./\.-   by myself and does not represent