[IPython-user] man page question

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 13:10:07 CST 2006

Hi all,

sorry for the long delay, and happy new year to everyone :)

On 12/30/06, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/30/06, belinda thom <bthom at cs.hmc.edu> wrote:
>
> > So is it the case that easy_install is "the preferred way" to install
> > ipython? Or is there some better way?
>
> Depends :)
>
> I just added a FAQ entry:
>
> http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/FAQ
>
> (at the end).

Thanks for this clarification, Ville.

Belinda, I should add that while many users find excellent reasons for
using eggs, and that is why we offer support for them, I've
/personally/ had nothing but bad experiences with the system, and
don't use them myself for anything.  I find that they break too many
of the normal conventions of operation in *nix environments and each
time I've tried using them, I've ended up wasting a lot of frustrating
time.  So while I know eggs have their place (Enthought makes
excellent use of them in their new Windows distribution system), my
/very personal/ opinion under *nix is that, as long as

"tar xzf foo.tgz & cd foo" OR "cd foo & svn update"
python setup.py install --prefix=$HOME/usr/local

or something similar (like "apt-get/yum/fink install foo") works
correctly, I'll stick to such methods before using eggs.  I'm sure one
day I'll find a problem for which eggs are the right solution in my
case, but that day has yet to arrive.

> When Fernando gets online, he should probably upload ipython 0.7.3 egg
> to cheeseshop, it still only has the 0.7.2 version.

Quick question: I just registered 0.7.3, is that enough for the
appropriate egg to be  correctly located, or do I need to do anything
else?  The Cheeshop web pages don't make mention of a specific egg
upload step.  If there's an extra command for it, we'll just add a
stanza for it in the tools/release shell script so it just happens for
all future releases without a chance for me forgetting it.