[IPython-user] auto_edit problems

Dave davbrow at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 15:37:43 CST 2006

On 2/1/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> Ville Vainio wrote:
> > On 1/31/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:
> >

> >>Under win32, it now defaults to looking for _ipython.  It used to be
> .ipython,
> >>but we changed it a while back to accomodate broken win32 software which
> gets
> >>confused by dotted directory names.  But this was a mistake: given that
> >>ipython honors the IPYTHONDIR variable, users needing a name other than
> >>.ipython can always set their own systems to use this.
> >

> > As a win32 users I don't consider it a mistake - setting environment
> > variables is excessively hard in windows (control panel use needed). I
> > can add a warning if ".ipython" exists but is not used, but in SVN
> > _ipython will be the way forward.
>
> No worries on trunk: this change will only be made on chainsaw/1.0, so
> it's
> (far) in the future.  I won't touch trunk/ with backwards-incompatible
> changes.

The existing _name is fine for me.  I was confused because I use ipython on
different platforms and have not looked over the docs systematically in a
long time (if ever).  My fault really.  If there is a good reason for the
difference it's not a problem.  However it would be nice to print out an FYI
message at install or startup to "help" some of us clear out the obsolete
settings files.

Thanks again for all the great creative work and user support on ipython.

-- David