[IPython-user] annoying beep from cmd.exe console

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 14 19:18:56 CST 2006

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 7:23 pm, Bill Baxter wrote:
> Is there a way to get rid of the annoying beep that the Windows
> cmd.exeshell makes every time I type an invalid key combination?  I'm
> trying to
> like IPython, because everyone seems to rave about it, but that beep is
> driving me crazy.

Hi Bill,

You're right, the beep on windows is so loud that it will drive you mad. It's
not Ipython's fault though, I think it has to do with readline's call to the
system beep. Way back when I was a windows user, I ended up disabling the
system beep in windows, which requires a simple registry edit. Just google
for "microsoft disable system beep", and you'll find something like

Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound In the right pane, right click "Beeps",
modify, set the value to no. Exit, reboot.

I don't think anyone would ever miss that awful beep. Anything that required
that degree of attention would probably be accompanied by a blue screen.

Darren