[IPython-user] annoying beep from cmd.exe console

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 21:45:04 CST 2006

Ok, the registry setting didn't actually fix the annoying beep, I found
after a reboot.
But the following is something else I found on the web, via the windows
annoyances site, which did do the trick.

Open Device Manager.
Choose Show Hidden Devices from menu.
Expand the "Non-plug and Play Drivers" entry in the tree list
Double click on the "Beep" entry
Select "Do no use this device (disable)" from the dialog that pops up, hit
OK and reboot.

Now I really have no more annoying system beeps from my computer case (but
regular sounds still play from my speakers).
IPython is much nicer to use now.

--bb