[IPython-user] [Python-Dev] a quit that actually quits

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 04:52:08 CST 2006

On 1/4/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> Neat!  This is a nice hack, I've saved it and will play with it later.  Ville,
> who's one of our resident ipython-as-shell diehards, might even 'ipythonize' it :)

There certainly is potential for interesting uses... for the pipeline
manipulation of "tables" that is.

E.g. I'm thinking of

findfiles('/tmp') / tablefilter('size > 10000 and
name.lower().endswith(".cpp")')

Where findfiles would output a "table" that it fills with all the
basic file name & stat info, and "tablefilter" would dump all fields
into locals() namespace and pass through only "lines" that pass
"eval"-ing the argument string.

It's interesting to see how the idea evolves. It's certainly a step
into a more "structured" shell-like behaviour. In addition to
findfiles() we could have table-emitting methods like getsvninfo() for
version control stuff, mp3files() that would tabulate id3 info from
all mp3 files etc...

--
Ville Vainio    http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
  Can't you see the world is burning