[IPython-user] IPython 0.7.0.rc1, and development...

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 4 12:29:46 CST 2006

[ I'm cc-ing the matplotlib list here, in case anyone can help us with this
one.  The context is: testing the new ipython release candidate from

http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/testing/

Charlie is havig problems with -pylab and the gtk backend.]

Hi Charlie,

Charlie Moad wrote:
>      First of all, thanks as always.  I can't remember the last time I
> have used the vanilla python shell.
>      I am trying the rc, and I get 100% cpu usage just by running
> ipython -pylab.  This is on ubuntu/mpl-cvs/gtkagg.

This has been reported before, and I am not yet sure if the problem is ipython
or matplotlib.  Unfortunately, on all of my boxes, matplotlib/gtkagg just
segfaults instantly, so I can't even debug this one.

Help me a little: can you please test back and forth ipython 0.6.15 and
0.7.0.rc, without changing anything else?  Is the problem ONLY with 0.7.0?

If that is the case, then I can try to track down what the threading call
causing the problem might be.  IPython has no C code in it, it only
initializes the threads system for GTK, but perhaps I'm making an incorrect
call there.

Any help here would be very welcome.