[IPython-user] [Python-Dev] a quit that actually quits

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Thu Jan 5 07:53:24 CST 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:

> Walter Dörwald wrote:
>
>>> Yup, intriguing...  At the very least, Walter's tool should be more
>>> widely known, and perhaps later on we can integrate it with ipython
>>> further.
>>
>> I think the only thing required for this to work is extensible
>> displayhooks.
>
> Since I've had 0.7.0 in rc mode for a while, I don't want any
> potentially distabilizing changes right now, so I'll leave this as 0.7.1
> material, but it sounds like a great plan.
>
> Would you be willing to contribute this to the ipython codebase?  It's
> BSD licensed, I typically put in a copyright notice of the original
> author in all files which aren't originally mine.

No problem with that, but sh.py is an old hack. For something that goes
into IPython I'd say we need a cleaner API. With Ville's tablefilter
suggestion those fancy Or and Any operators are no longer needed.

>>> Wo says we can't do better than Microsoft
>>> (http://arstechnica.com/guides/other/msh.ars)? :)
>>
>> At least we have a better syntax.
>
> Yup.  We're going to need an official ipython-as-shell team formed, as
> my day to day work is a bit too orthogonal to this for me to make it
> justice.  I get the feeling that Ville and you may get signed up ;)

I'm not sure how much time I can devote to this, but I'm certainly
willing to help.

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald