[IPython-user] IPython 0.7.0 is out.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 10 12:22:13 CST 2006

Hi Sean,

Sean Moore wrote:
> Fernando,
>
> the patch / correction I sent you for pygtk on windows threaded coded didn't
> make it into the release:
>
> in Shell.py  line 626 (sorry - don't have patch)  You have:
>
>         if self.gtk.pygtk_version >= (2,4,0):
>              import gobject
>              gobject.timeout_add(self.TIMEOUT, self.on_timer)
>          else:
>              self.gtk.timeout_add(self.TIMEOUT, self.on_timer)
>

> but I have this:
>
>          if self.gtk.pygtk_version >= (2,4,0):
>              import gobject
>              gobject.idle_add(self.on_timer)
>          else:
>              self.gtk.idle_add(self.on_timer)

could you please clarify for me again the rationale behind your patch?  The
current version, using timeout_add, was reverted from your code very recently:

2006-01-04  Fernando Perez  <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu>

	* IPython/Shell.py (IPShellGTK.mainloop): fix bug in the GTK
	backend for matplotlib (100% cpu utiliziation).  Thanks to Charlie
	Moad for help with tracking it down.

The problem was that GTK was using 100% cpu with the idle_add version, here's
the thread on the matplotlib list where we tracked this down:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=9385296&forum_id=36187

So we did indeed revert your patch out, but it was because the idle_add form
was breaking matplotlib.   I guess we'll need to understand this better, so we
can find a proper solution for all cases.  Perhaps Charlie also has some ideas
on this front.