[IPython-user] IPython 0.7.0 is out.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 10 18:41:54 CST 2006

Charlie Moad wrote:
> There was also a DeprecationWarning before we reverted as well.  In
> the current release I don't get that warning, and the mpl/pylab
> doesn't busy wait.  What does that change accomplish?

 From the ChangeLog, here's what I wrote:

2005-10-31  Fernando Perez  <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu>

	* IPython/Shell.py (IPShellGTK.mainloop): Change timeout_add to
	idle_add, which fixes horrible keyboard lag problems under gtk 2.6
	(reported under win32, but may happen also in other platforms).
	Bug report and fix courtesy of Sean Moore <smm-AT-logic.bm>

So I wonder if what we need to do is wrap this into a platform-dependent test,
so win32 uses idle_add while *nix uses timeout_add.  I would really like to
understand better the issue before putting in such an ugly hack, which looks
terribly out of place to me.  I find it hard to believe that GTK really has
such a bad internal design, it's most likely that I am misusing the library.

Input from anyone with PyGTK experience would be very welcome at this point.

Best,