[IPython-user] iPython-ish editor

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 11 01:19:08 CST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> Ryan Krauss wrote:
>
>>It seems to me that iPython's tab completion works better than any I
>>have seen in any text editor that tries to support it - to the point
>>where I just go back and forth between iPython and vim, using iPython
>>to check that an object really has the methods I think it does and
>>pasting the iPython verified code back into my script.  How hard would
>>it be to borrow iPython's tab completion stuff and embedded it in a
>>Python based editor?  (Or is anyone aware of an editor whose tab
>>completion works correctly, recognizing that a certain object is of a
>>certain type and correctly determining its methods and properties?)
>

> That only works in a more static language (like Java) or when the objects are
> live and can be introspected (like in ipython). It doesn't work with Python code
> that *isn't* being executed.

It is worth mentioning, though, that once the chainsaw branch stabilizes,
using ipython as a 'python VM on steroids' will allow precisely this kind of
thing quite easily.  Any editor should be able to run an private ipython
process, to which it can feed code for evaluation and make completion requests
on objects, etc.

One more reason to get going on chainsaw, before Brian gets so far I can't
catch up with him...