[IPython-user] Welcoming Ville as the new maintainer for IPython 0.7.x

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 14:22:03 CST 2006

On 1/11/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> I will continue to be available on the list, and will assist Ville as needed,
> but I'll try to spend all my ipython hacking time on the new work, which is a
> longer term effort.

Thanks, Fernando. There are still many dark & unknown places within
IPython, so I'm still expecting you to point me at most probable
places to look at when a bug is reported or a feature needs
implementing. :-)

I'd also like to use this opportunity to encourage people to attempt
implementing features themselves (after discussing it on the list to
get good pointers on where to look in the codebase), to have a decent
chance of having it done in a timely manner.

Becoming an ipython developer is very easy, once you have Subversion installed.

1. Check out the code

# svn co http://ipython.scipy.org/svn/ipython/ipython/trunk ipython

2. Go to ipython dir and install IPython

# sudo python setup.py install

3. Modify the code

4. Repeat 2. to reinstall it

5. Try it out

6. Submit a patch if it's good! Go to ipython dir and do:

# svn diff > my_cool_patch.diff

7. Attach my_cool_patch.diff to an email and send it over to
ipython-dev for review & checkin.

--
Ville Vainio    http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
  Can't you see the world is burning