[IPython-user] ^C does not abort during searches in 0.7

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 12 12:53:06 CST 2006

Francesc Altet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I normally do interrupt a lot during reverse searches, but this
> feature seems to be broken in ipython 0.7 (it works well in 0.6.15).
>
> For example, if I type '^Rze', I get:
>
> (reverse-i-search)`ze': numpy.zeros((2,3), dtype='2u1,f4,S1')
>
> but if I then try to abort the search with ^C, I can't.
>
> Using Linux here.

Are you using one of the threaded ipython shells (this can happen indirectly
via matplotlib loading)?

For some strange reason, ^R doesn't work for me _at all_, but since I've never
used it before, I'm not sure what the deal is.  But ^S (forward-search) does
activate for me, and I seem to be able to cancel it just fine, both with and
without threads:

planck[~]> ip
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Feb  2 2005, 12:11:53)

IPython 0.7.1.svn -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
%magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.

KeyboardInterrupt

print
KeyboardInterrupt

In [1]:
planck[~]> ip -qthread
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Feb  2 2005, 12:11:53)

IPython 0.7.1.svn -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
%magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.

In [1]: print
KeyboardInterrupt - Press <Enter> to continue.

(i-search)`': print
In [2]: print Press <Enter> to continue.

In [3]:
Closing threads... Done.
planck[~]>

Did anything else change in your system in the meantime?  Can you try both
with and without threads to see if it makes a difference?  And also, can you
make this switch instantaneously)?  I'd like as much info as possible here,
because a) I don't see the problem myself b) I didn't touch that code, so I'm
a little surprised to see problems here.