[IPython-user] bug in edit magic: content of edited file is not accessible

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 18 12:02:22 CST 2006

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> Fernando Perez пишет:
>
>>OK, I see your point.  Automatic versioned source control was a feature of
>>ipython all along, and I didn't even know it.  Who needs SVN when you have
>>ipython  ;)
>

> Probably it should be funny but I think you misunderstood my bad
> english. All what I want is to easily test small chunks of code
> on-the-fly during one IPython session.

No, sorry if my message came across wrong.  I understood what you said (your
English is just fine, no worries), I was just joking that with the numbered
outputs, IPython gives you something like 'version control' for free: the
interactively edited snippets are all in memory with a distinct number each
(like an SVN revision tag), and you can get to any of them directly.  I had
never even thought about this mode of work, and I think it's a very nice way
of using the system.  Obviously this does NOT replace SVN, that part was a
joke, but it does provide 'lightweight versioning' while working
interactively, which is nice.

In fact, I'll add a note to this effect on the quick-tips section of the
manual, so thanks for the comment.

> I see that edit magic allows to edit file in which some function defined
> but sometimes all what is need to do -- is simply run 3-4 lines of code
> in interpreter.
>

>>I'll revert the old behavior.

Note that Ville already did this in SVN, so things should be OK again.

Best,