[IPython-user] ask help for "Effective logging"

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed Jan 18 13:41:17 CST 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:

>~/.ipython/ipythonrc-autolog
>
>which would contain:
>
>include ipythonrc
>logfile '' # cancel earlier logfile invocation
>execute import time
>execute __cmd = 'PUT_SOME_PATH_YOU_WANT_HERE-%s.log rotate'
>execute __IP.magic_logstart(__cmd % time.strftime('%Y-%m-%d'))
>

>Then, you'd simply call ipython using this profile as
>
>ipython -p autolog

This looked so interesting that I decided to try it. Unfortunately it
didn't work for me. I changed PUT_SOME_PATH_YOU_WANT_HERE to
/home/swalton/test/log, assuming files would be named
/home/swalton/test/log-%Y-%m-%d.log or something similar. But "ipython
-p autolog" dies with the attached crash log.

Steve