[IPython-user] ask help for "Effective logging"

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 18 15:49:58 CST 2006

Stephen Walton wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
>

>>the existing rc format is already slated for removal in the chainsaw
>>branch.
>

> My own $0.02 is that it isn't worth Ville's time to remove it from the
> main branch.  Just leave it there and we'll all work around its
> limitations until chainsaw is ready.

That's the plan.  Note that today, I actually use a hybrid form: I use the rc
file to set _only options_ for ipython, and then just have at the end

execfile extras.py

The 'extras.py' file contains all the real code I want run.

This limits the ipython rc format to only setting flag values, and then I edit
python code in a normal file, instead of monkeying around with all the
pseudo-python 'import_mod' and friends which clutter today's rc format.

It's a reasonable compromise with today's infrastructure.