[IPython-user] Cygwin Auto-completion Problems

Tom Purl tom at tompurl.com
Mon Jan 23 13:46:57 CST 2006

When using the latest version of IPython with Cygwin, I noticed the
following problem.  Let's assume that I type the following into IPython:

  In [1]: import sys
  In [2]: sys.pa<tab>
  sys.path                 sys.path_hooks           sys.path_importer_cache
  In [2]: sys.pathth<return>
  Out[2]:
  ['',
   '/usr/local/bin',
   '/usr/local/lib/python24.zip',
   '/usr/local/lib/python2.4',
   '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/plat-cygwin',
   '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk',
   '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload',
   '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages',
   '/home/someusername/.ipython']

Line 4 above does not contain a typo.  After typing 'sys.pa' followed by
the tab key, that's what I get.  After hitting the tab key, it displays
the auto-complete options and then automatically fills in the line with
'sys.pathth' instead of 'sys.path'.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this on Cygwin?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom Purl