[IPython-user] On Eggs and the striping of docs & examples

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 02:00:18 CST 2006

(on removing docs and examples from the eggs - sent this to
ipython-user because users might care too)

On 1/24/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> OK, I'll apply these unmodified.  If egg users disagree with your choices, you
> can later revisit these, or perhaps make a 'lite' and 'full' pair, if such a
> thing is possible.

Yep.

> The win32 installer puts the manual with a link in the start menu, and the
> *nix ones do put the docs and manpages in the proper places (/usr/share/doc).
>   Did you remove them altogether?  What happens if someone installs the egg
> and they want to read the manual?  Do they need to go online?

They need to go online, and probably they would go there anyway, even
with the docs suppiled. Egg users are probably people who have
persistent net access (easy_install is handiest that way, anyway).
RPMs and DEBs are the way people without net access will do the
installation.

However, eggs are still analogous to RPMs and DEBs, there are often
separate packages for docs and the actual executables and libs
required for running.

IPython is luckily quite self-documenting, a'la emacs.

--
Ville Vainio - http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
http://vainio.blogspot.com