[IPython-user] IPython 0.7.1 is out.

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Tue Jan 24 06:26:14 CST 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:

> [...]
>    - New IPython.ipapi module to begin exposing 'officially' IPython's public
> API.  This should ease the task of those building systems on top of ipython.
 > [...]

Sounds great! Can you show an example for installing a display hook? Is
it OK to just use print in the hook, or do I have to use IPython's
output facility?

BTW, the TryNext exception should be available in the IPython.ipapi module.

Another enhancement request: It would be great if the return value of
the displayhook would be assigned to the _ variable (instead of the
original object). This way e.g. a curses based browser could be used to
select an object from a list, pressing a key returns to the IPython
shell with the picked objects as _.

Bye,
    Walter Dörwald