[IPython-user] On Eggs and the striping of docs & examples

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 24 11:38:56 CST 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:
> (on removing docs and examples from the eggs - sent this to
> ipython-user because users might care too)
>
> On 1/24/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:
>

>>OK, I'll apply these unmodified.  If egg users disagree with your choices, you
>>can later revisit these, or perhaps make a 'lite' and 'full' pair, if such a
>>thing is possible.
>

> Yep.

OK, let me know if you make these changes, and I'll build/upload the doc-eggs
as needed.

>>The win32 installer puts the manual with a link in the start menu, and the
>>*nix ones do put the docs and manpages in the proper places (/usr/share/doc).
>>  Did you remove them altogether?  What happens if someone installs the egg
>>and they want to read the manual?  Do they need to go online?
>

> They need to go online, and probably they would go there anyway, even
> with the docs suppiled. Egg users are probably people who have
> persistent net access (easy_install is handiest that way, anyway).
> RPMs and DEBs are the way people without net access will do the
> installation.
>
> However, eggs are still analogous to RPMs and DEBs, there are often
> separate packages for docs and the actual executables and libs
> required for running.

In light of this, then perhaps the idea of the doc-eggs may be a good one.  I
like to make sure that users without always-on net access can get the full
functionality of ipython, and if we are to provide eggs, might as well make
them 'first class citizens'.

> IPython is luckily quite self-documenting, a'la emacs.

That's true.

Ville, can you please post a note both on -user and -dev once you've merged
the 0.7.1 branch back into trunk?  That will be the time for our SVN users
(including myself) to do an 'svn switch /path/to/trunk' again.