[IPython-user] On Eggs and the striping of docs & examples

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 12:33:12 CST 2006

On 1/24/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> In light of this, then perhaps the idea of the doc-eggs may be a good one.  I

Doc-eggs is not a well-supported idea (IIUC), because it would put the
docs under site-packages (esp. in Windows there is no standard place
for docs). Documentation and examples in a plain old zip file would be
better, users can put them anywhere they want.

Here's an idea - we could put a few-page quick-reference into IPython,
accessible by typing 'quickref'. It would have all the handy "%sc
var=ls *.cpp" stuff that users might forget.

> like to make sure that users without always-on net access can get the full
> functionality of ipython, and if we are to provide eggs, might as well make
> them 'first class citizens'.

Offline users will of course get full *functionality*, only the
"static" documentation is lost (so that nobody misunderstands the egg
as a "crippled" version of IPython).

In fact, I think of the egg as the non-intrusive, humble, simple
version of IPython that doesn't require post-install actions even on
Windows. :-)

> Ville, can you please post a note both on -user and -dev once you've merged
> the 0.7.1 branch back into trunk?  That will be the time for our SVN users
> (including myself) to do an 'svn switch /path/to/trunk' again.

Done, you are good to go.

--
Ville Vainio - http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
http://vainio.blogspot.com