[IPython-user] IPython 0.7.1 is out.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 24 15:42:23 CST 2006

Walter Dörwald wrote:

> And there are still many docstrings missing. BTW, what's the policy on
> IPython docstrings? ReST? Plain text?

Up until now, I'd just used plain text.  But for chainsaw, we've been looking
at better options, and epydoc seems to be the winner so far.  Since it has
reST support:

<quote>
A lightweight markup language called epytext can be used to format docstrings,
and to add information about specific fields, such as parameters and instance
variables. Epydoc also understands docstrings written in ReStructuredText,
Javadoc, and plaintext.
</quote>

I guess we could use either.  But perhaps input from others (in particular
Brian Granger, who's been looking at this for chainsaw) would be good at this
point: we should clarify the issue once and for all, and write the decision
down in the dev. wiki page.

thoughts?