[IPython-user] ipapi rehaul

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 24 16:27:48 CST 2006

Walter Dörwald wrote:

> I find it strange that there's supposed to be only *one* object you talk
> to. Are all 40 modules in IPython useless for the user?

No, they are not useless.  But given the incredibly messy state of inbreeding
and all-around spaghettiness of the ipython codebase, what Ville is trying to
do is to give you a clean entry point for the public API of the _running_
ipython object.  Those modules can certainly be imported, and in fact many of
them can be extremely useful on their own.  But that would be using 'ipython,
the library' and not 'ipython, the running interpreter'.

I guess we need another volunteer to help with documenting and organizing
better the 'ipython as a library' aspect of things.

I hope this clarifies the situation a little.