[IPython-user] On Eggs and the striping of docs & examples

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:38:04 CST 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:

> However, eggs are still analogous to RPMs and DEBs, there are often
> separate packages for docs and the actual executables and libs
> required for running.

I've found that comparing eggs to rpms and debs gives a false impression. rpms
and debs can do more than eggs, even though some rpms and debs only do as much
as eggs. I think the analogy is strained, and ultimately disappoints the
listener whose expectations have been raised.

As a booster of the technology, I would rather tell people that eggs are jars++
rather than debs--.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com