[IPython-user] Installing ipython on windows

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 06:40:37 CST 2006

On 1/25/06, Jose Gomez-Dans <jgomezdans at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used ipython on Linux, and it works as a charm. However, I would like
> to use it at work, where I have to run Win2k, and I have no administrator
> rights. I have tried installing previous versions of iPython on this set-up,
> but I can't install it (some of the required python packages need
> Administrator rights), so in the end, I have not been able to install
> iPython (+matplotlib) on my computer.

IPython itself: just open the source distribution (ipython*.tar.gz)
and run the resulting ipython.py.

As far as the "recommended libraries" go: if you have activepython,
you already have pywin32 (old name win32all). That just leaves ctypes
and gary's readline. I suppose both can be just dropped into ipython
source tree; try putting them to the Extensions folder.

Tell us how it goes.

--
Ville Vainio - http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
http://vainio.blogspot.com