[IPython-user] python vs. ipython

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 27 02:36:57 CST 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:
> On 1/27/06, Peter Teuben <teuben at astro.umd.edu> wrote:
>

>>Perhaps we can get a "--run" flag into ipython, or perhaps there are other
>>creative solutions to this problem.
>

> Apart from compatibility, is there a convincing reason for not
> changing sys.argv to be the same as in "real" python while running the
> scripts in command line? It would of course be changed back after done
> with the script...

No, I think that's fine. A good warning in the changelog / next release notes
should suffice here.  We in fact already do just that when %run is called, so
scripts under %run behave just like they would at a standalone command line.
Fixing an

ipython script args

call to do the same is, I think, perfectly consistent.  I'm not sure though if
the options parsing stuff we use will deal correctly with options meant for
the script and not for ipython...