[IPython-user] python vs. ipython

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Fri Jan 27 14:08:18 CST 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Ville Vainio wrote:

> On 1/27/06, Peter Teuben <teuben at astro.umd.edu> wrote:
>
>> 1)  some users that rely on this behaviuor
>>
>>         ipython [flags] script1 script2 script3
>>
>> will now be upset, since script2 and script3 are not executed anymore!
>> Perhaps it is better this way, at least it works much better for me.
>
> I think it's better, it's highly typical for apps to be run with at
> least some arguments when launched from command line.

i think so too :-)  but it should be strongly worded as an incompatible
change!

>> 2)  when you use the -c flag
>>
>>         ipython -c 'foo()'  foo.py  arg1 arg2
>>
>> the arguments are not seen anymore, since sys.argv is now  ['-c']
>
> I think I fixed this already, did you try the version before my fix?

perhaps i was behind in svn, i tried again. I'm at revision 1089.
Or perhaps i was confused. As long as one is in the section

if __name__ == '__main__' :
 	print sys.argv[]

it will print "foo.py  arg1 arg2", but as soon as one is in the
interactive shell, it goes to "-c".

peter