[IPython-user] python vs. ipython

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Fri Jan 27 15:46:37 CST 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Ville Vainio wrote:

> On 1/27/06, Peter Teuben <teuben at astro.umd.edu> wrote:
>
>> ah, but after this, in interactive mode, when you type sys.argv, it will show
>> ['-c']. Not that i care, it's an ipython feature. I was merely wondering if this
>
> Ah, I see. This seems like a misfeature more than anything else. Where
> is it documented?

in the man page, viz.

-c <command>
               Execute the given command string, and  set  sys.argv  to  [c].
               This  is  similar  to  the -c option in the normal Python inter-
               preter.

Btw, if the new notation becomes official, we should also adopt the man
page of ipython to reflect this, so instead of
 	ipython [options] files...
it be
 	ipython [options] script [argument]

(names used from the python man page)