[IPython-user] %ed returns "\n"

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 19:02:26 CST 2006

On 1/28/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> _that_ would be nice.  %whos uses the same technique to snip strings, there I
> keep the beginning and end, I'd suggest doing something similar (also for
> consistency across ipython).  Not identical (whos truncates to a single line),
> but similar enough that it 'feels right'.  Whatever that is :)

Good point, I'll look into %whos.

Here's something even more insane (bear with me, it's 3am here): if
one uses %ed for editing the same file repeatedly, we could show the
DIFFS to the previous version of that file after editing. It's very
easy (and dependency-free) with difflib, and could serve as a very
concise summary of that version of the file (and hence a good guide
for looking for the right version of the file), provided that the
changes were relatively small.

--
Ville Vainio - http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
http://vainio.blogspot.com