[IPython-user] Filesystem auto-complete doesn't work

Angus McMorland a.mcmorland at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jul 19 23:59:51 CDT 2006

Hi all,

I have, on my desk, a i386 laptop and an amd64 desktop, both running
Debian etch, python 2.4.4c0 and ipython 0.7.2. On the desktop, typing:

In[1]: import os
In[2]: os.chdir('/tm<tab>

correctly auto-completes to

In[2]: os.chdir('/tmp/'

However, on my laptop doing the same thing simply causes system-beeps,
with no auto-completion. Auto-completion of object methods still works,
so

In[3]: os.chd<tab>

correctly gives me

In[3]: os.chdir

but file completion does not work.

I've looked through my package lists (focusing on python and readline
packages) to see if I'm missing something on the laptop that's present
on the desktop, but can't see anything that looks relevant.

I find the file system auto-complete function very useful for perusing
the filesystem, and its absence is frustrating on the laptop. Does
anyone have any idea what could be causing this difference in behaviour?

Thanks,

Angus.
--
Angus McMorland
email a.mcmorland at auckland.ac.nz
mobile +64-21-155-4906

PhD Student, Neurophysiology / Multiphoton & Confocal Imaging
Physiology, University of Auckland
phone +64-9-3737-599 x89707

Armourer, Auckland University Fencing
Secretary, Fencing North Inc.