[IPython-user] Filesystem auto-complete doesn't work [FIXED]

Angus McMorland a.mcmorland at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jul 23 18:02:11 CDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 16:52 +0300, Ville Vainio wrote:
> On 7/20/06, Angus McMorland <a.mcmorland at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> > In[1]: import os
> > In[2]: os.chdir('/tm<tab>
> >
> > correctly auto-completes to
> >
> > In[2]: os.chdir('/tmp/'
> >
> > However, on my laptop doing the same thing simply causes system-beeps,
> > with no auto-completion. Auto-completion of object methods still works,
>
> Are the configuration (~/.ipython files) identical?

That was the problem. I thought I remembered copying *all* the
configuration files from laptop to desktop a while back, but I had only
copied a subset of profiles. That meant I had a newer version of
ipythonrc on the desktop machine (I guess I installed ipython there
later). Copying the newer file on to the laptop has made them both
behave correctly now.

I suppose this makes the point that it is up to individual users to be
aware of the need to and remember to update their ~/.ipythonrc/* files
whenever updating the whole package(?).

(
> Does "cd /tm<tab>" work in both?

It does (and it did before I fixed the problem too).
)

Thanks for your help,

Angus.
--
Angus McMorland
email a.mcmorland at auckland.ac.nz
mobile +64-21-155-4906

PhD Student, Neurophysiology / Multiphoton & Confocal Imaging
Physiology, University of Auckland
phone +64-9-3737-599 x89707

Armourer, Auckland University Fencing
Secretary, Fencing North Inc.