[IPython-user] [IPython-dev] Release of pyreadline 1.3

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu
Fri Jun 2 12:42:41 CDT 2006

Andrew Straw skrev:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>> On 6/2/06, Andrew Straw <strawman at astraw.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Is pyreadline a Windows-only thing?
>>>

>> Yes, the *nices have the real readline.  Well, in OSX I think it needs
>> to be added by hand b/c Apple doesn't really ship it by default, but
>> at least it exists.  Under Win32, until UNC readline came along,
>> ipython was kind of crippled (not tab, no arrow-history, no
>> colors,...).
>>

> Right, but isn't the "real readline" GPL, which prevents even some
> packagers of Python on *nices and OSX (which I guess is a *nix) from
> including readline? (Isn't that the most likely explanation for Apple
> not shipping it?) Anyhow, I'm just totally ignorant and curious here. I
> thought I remembered reading about how a cross-platform
> BSD-license-esque pyreadline would solve these issues. I guess that's
> next version. :)
I'd love that, however I'm mainly using windows so this has to come from
someone else. That said I will refactor the code for the next version to
make it easy to change the terminal communication code.

> No doubt this will make (I)Python much more bearable in Windows, and I
> really look forward to using next time I'm forced to spend more than a
> few seconds in that OS.
>
> While I'm on it, is there a decent console program for windows? I'm not
> talking about the shell, I'm talking about the actual GUI program that
> runs the shell. The equivalent of konsole, gnome-terminal, or whatever.

there is 4nt from www.jpsoftware.com I tried it once and it had some
nice things that the dos prompt doesn't. Like cd to network shares work.
I don't remember how copy paste worked in their shell though.

/Jörgen